Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How to Do a Google Search

I've just made some changes to one of my articles at Ezine Articles. One of the things I quickly found out was that if I wanted to make money online I needed to learn how to do research online. To research my articles or do research for my e-books that I was creating I had to know some techniques to get the results I wanted without having to sift through a lot of extra stuff.  Here is my newly edited article:

How to Do a Google Search
I have been hanging around Yahoo Answers lately and I'm surprised by how many people still don't do a search before they ask a question. If it's just laziness then I can't help that. But if you truly don't know how to do a search then I may have some tricks or "hacks" for you.

If you want better results without the extra "fluff" that you weren't looking for then these may be the solutions you are looking for. I don't have all the answers here for you, but I'll show you later how to get more "hacks" that you can use to refine your search.


  • One of the easiest to use are searches using quotation marks. If you want to search for an exact phrase enclose the phrase in quotation marks.
  • Use the "+" symbol for searches that include other words. For example: apple +tree for a search about apples and trees. You shouldn't get anything to do with apple pies unless the word tree is on the web site.
  • Use the "-" symbol if you want to search for something that doesn't include a specific term. For example, you could look for spears but you don't want all the celebrity gossip about Britney Spears by putting spears -britney in the search window.
  • If you are looking for a specific kind of web site or a word in a URL then use the inurl: hack. If you are looking for forums to join then you could put inurl:forum in the search window and find all the forums with the word forum in it.
  • All web pages have a title bar. You can do a search for your keywords in the title bar by using the allintitle search, for example: allintitle:traffic would get you results that have the word traffic in the title bar. This is why it is always a good idea when creating a web page to include as many keywords possible in your title. That is just good SEO.
  • Finding a pdf, htm or jpg file on the internet on the internet is easy too. Use the filetype: hack. For example - apple filetype:pdf
For other tips on how to refine your search go to Google/Advanced Search/Advanced Search Tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment